Pages

17 November, 2013

Wanda's Pink Miracle Egg!

Well, what do you know? Little Miss "I only have one eye" Wanda laid an egg this morning!

 Here it is:



I call it the pink egg because it actually had a pink cast to it when I found it. It still does, but you can't see it in this photo I took with my cell phone. It's a pale, peachy pink in reality. This photo makes it look too brown. I'll see if Aaron can take a better photo of it. I should, and will, eat it; but there is a part of me that doesn't want to. I never thought Wanda would lay any eggs- not only is she mostly blind in one eye but she's quite old for a chicken. My Dad's theory is that now I am feeding her healthier, organic food, she's also getting more sunshine and exercise. Whatever the reason for this magical mystery egg, I'm very grateful for it and will enjoy it to the fullest. 

The puppies are doing really well, as I write this, Aaron is checking out whatever they are barking at…. annnnnd…. it's nothing. I said that if it were really something to bark at, Wiley would be up and giving us the signal. So the puppies first night in their new home begins….. 

The afternoon with the puppies was a blur of cute and sweet love and play peppered with lots of pee and poop. With two puppies, the minute you clean up one mess and come back from the trash can, a second mess is awaiting you. But if you leave the mess it will get trod in and tracked everywhere, including all over you. Also with two puppies, cleaning up messes turns very quickly into a game for them and it's all about who can catch the paper towels the humans are moving around on the floor. So far we have discovered that if one of us distracts the puppies with toys, the other can quickly clean up. Quickly being the key word. They are sequestered in Aaron's bathroom which is HUGE and has a lot of windows and stone floors that are easy to clean. We found a big doghouse in the back barn and cleaned it up for them to have a den. We want them to be crate trained, but right now they are recovering from being snipped and from having a bit of a doggie flu, so keeping them penned in the big bathroom is the best solution. The dog flue thing won't affect Wiley since it's passed through their poop, but we are still being extra careful. Next week they can come out of the bathroom and have some limited and highly supervised exploring around the kitchen. We also plan on taking them all over town for lots of socialization and happy experiences with other people and enviroments. 

Here are two short videos I took of them today:


                                      




                                       



1 comment: