Pages

14 November, 2013

Farming in Cashmere

I own a very warm winter coat and for the past few days have been in dire need of it. I have dug through every box I thought it could be in and looked in every closet… to no avail. The mornings here are very cold and we have been waking up to frost for a few days now. That winter coat would really come in handy. But I've been forced to get back in touch with my native San Franciscan and dress in many layers. This morning I found myself dressed in the following outfit:

1. Two pairs of socks
2. One pair of leggings
3. Heavy duty denim overalls that are one size too big for me
4. A long sleeve t-shirt
5. A heavy cashmere sweater
6. My fleece hat from Israel (those who have spent recent winters with me will remember the army green goof-ball hat I wear almost constantly in the winter- the same one that my dear friend Sabine calls my "Sleepy Hat" since it was the one I would wear during yoga training and pull down low over my eyes so I could nap during lectures in an attempt to fool the teachers)
7. Work gloves

The central point is that I wore a cashmere sweater. TO WORK ON THE FARM. I fed the chickens in my CASHMERE. And while I was checking for eggs I thought to myself, "Well, only a New Yorker would tend to her chickens in cashmere." The truth is that I was extremely comfortable and warm. It was actually an excellent choice to do chores in for a cold, blustery morning. I think if I had found my winter coat and was wearing it, I would have been much too hot in addition to it being bulky and restricting my movements. So bottom line? Farming in cashmere turned out to be an excellent idea!

In other news, my brother decided to adopt a dog. Yesterday we went to the animal shelter in town and met a lot of dogs. Aaron ended up liking a "Heinz 57" type puppy. Or so the employee called him that since he's a mix of who knows what. We think for sure blue heeler and lab… but after that it's hard to tell. So after we met the pup, we went and got Wiley so we could make sure it wasn't a bad match. It went as well as it could for them. The puppy was calm and Wiley was more interested in smelling every inch of the pen we were in. Of course he had to pee on everything. But he was mellow with the puppy and that was very encouraging. We returned today to see the puppy again and for Aaron to officially adopt him. And, well, you see what's going to happen next, don't you? I ended up adopting the puppy's brother. So now we will have three dogs in the house and I suspect chaos will rule our lives for a few months at least. Here's a pic of our boys:

Aaron's puppy in in the back and mine is in the foreground.

I think they will be very big dogs when they are fully grown. And since they are approximately 3 months old, We won't know how big that will be till this time next year. My guess is 70lbs, Aaron's is 60lbs. They have very sweet dispositions, are playful, inquisitive, and gentle. They don't bark much at all, though I'm sure Wiley will teach them… sigh… They are very happy to snuggle and when I picked each of them up they just rested their heads on my shoulder. It was just after feeding time, so I'm sure they were ready for naps, but their steady, calm demeanor really clinched the deal for me. Many of the other dogs were barking and racing around. These boys just rolled with whatever was in front of them. They were happy to play and chase after me when I ran around and just as happy to snuggle in our arms or roll over for belly rubs.

They will be getting their shots, ball snips, and overall checkups tomorrow and then we are to pick them up at 7:30 AM on Saturday morning. Then… I expect chaos will rule. It will be a constant balance act for me between the puppies and Wiley. He's going to need a lot of reassurance and extra attention. We are not allowing him to play with the puppies right away. They will be recovering from the snipping so he'll have to wait. But all of his time with them (at first) will be closely monitored and short. Leave on a high note with him wanting more is my plan.

So that's the latest! We are very excited.

Tomorrow my parents arrive for the afternoon. Should be good times!






No comments:

Post a Comment