Pages

05 November, 2013

Mini-post

Yesterday I went to Knoxville to visit my parents and of course, I took Wiley with me. He was SO excited to see them again! When we pulled into their neighborhood, I rolled down the windows and he perked right up. He knew where we were and just went apeshit when he saw my Mom and Dad. The reason for the visit was so I could take my phone to the Apple store because of the coffee incident earlier in the week. We also went to Costco- might as well, right? Wiley got to spend most of the afternoon at doggie daycare playing with all the other dogs. I knew he needed some real dog interactions. The cats just don't cut it. They just don't want to chase him and he can't understand why. He came back that evening happy and exhausted. Mom went to pick him up for me and came back saying that the staff all said, "Wiley is THE BEST DOG!" I am always surprised to hear other people say that because even though I know he is, I see him behaving like a feral crazy thing towards strangers. But I suppose doggie daycare is different- it's disneyland for dogs!

This morning I took some photos and a video after I finished my daily chores. I'll post them at the end of this blog, but I don't know if the video will work or not. I have never tried to post one. The video is of a funny discovery about the Guinea fowl and some broken mirrors I found and left out to be tossed.

Anyway, the hens gave me 4 eggs today and they were very happy to have the fruit and vegetable scraps I tossed for them along with their regular feed. Wanda One Eye is doing really well, I think the fresh air and sunshine has re-invigorated her old bones. I think all the chickens are happier with the changes Aaron and I have made. And soon the girls will get new, organic food and so I'll be able to say their eggs are totally organic! My father is very excited about that. 

The space I'm setting up for Wanda will also be where I raise my chicks. It's where the previous owners of this farm did it when they were raising chicks to sell. I should get Guineas now- then they will be full grown by the spring and ready to canvas the fields for ticks and fleas and all other nasty bugs I don't want. By the way, if anyone wants Guinea feathers for an art project or something, please contact me. I've got a lot and will send them to you as long as you send me a photo of what you do with them- even if you just use them as decorations! That is what I do with them. My brother is not a fan of this idea, but I dig it. 

Here are the pics and video:

Wiley in the oak leaves in the front yard.




1 comment:

  1. Sarah - I am loving your picture and commentary and the guinea fowl and the mirrors are the stuff that a great story is made of. It's good that you're blogging because the story will be partly already written for you.
    xoxo
    Aunt Jeanie

    ReplyDelete