Pages

13 May, 2014

Bees!

Three weeks ago, at 7:30 AM, I went and picked up my first of three nucs. Originally I was only going to have two, but I got the opportunity to get one more from the president of the Cookeville Beekeeper's Association and I couldn't pass that up!

A frame of bees


The new hive.



I've got them set up in the corner of the yard and there will be room for the other two hives. Those bees are coming to me in what's call a package, which is smaller than a nuc. But that's just fine. The two packages of bees will be arriving sometime next week- mid May.

For about a week I was doing really well with my bees. I've even found the queen twice! I wasn't even looking for her and hoop! There she was.

Then I went and did something terribly stupid. I was worried they were making a queen cell, which is a sign that they are ready to swarm and half the hive splits off and finds new digs.  It was threatening to rain so I thought I had better get to the task quick. Well, that was that was the first stupid thing. Never race against the rain when bees are concerned. The second stupid thing is that I didn't have a strong enough smolder in my smoker. Basically, not enough smoke to calm the bees. So that combination of stupid things got me stung twice... both in my inner thigh. Which is not a fun place to be stung when your home is a far way off and up a hill and your pants keep rubbing on the sting site. Also, I was wearing overalls. I did have the special jacket, hat, mask and gloves on.

One of the stingers came right out but the other one I couldn't get out. That sting site turned into a huge itchy welt. It's starting to go down... a week and a half later.

I've learned my lesson. If rain is threatening- stop and put everything back quickly and leave the bees alone. They don't like their hive getting wet. Not even a little bit. Also, make sure your smoker is well lit and smoking good before getting to the hives.




No comments:

Post a Comment