Pages

27 March, 2014

The Mysterious Beast of Three Oaks Farm

We had a visitor to the farm yesterday…

I was up by my studio gardening late in the afternoon when Aaron came running up the hill yelling about something. Of course, since he's working with power tools I had a moment of breath holding and expectations of blood. But he was pointing down the hill to the pole and saying, "I'm pretty sure you can see it from here." I looked into his binocular thing that he uses for judging distances that isn't actually binoculars and this is what I saw when he told me where to look:



We were both freaking out! What is that thing!?

From a distance you could barely see this creature without the binocular  thing. It's perched on top of a power line pole that's approximately 24 feet tall. We were completely confounded and were coming up with crazy ideas of what it was and how it got up there. Some of our ideas were that it was a groundhog that got picked up by a hawk and dropped on the top of the pole (mine), or it was a lost guinea pig, or it was a rabid wombat, or it was a marmoset, or we thought it could even be a genetically mutated chipmunk. 

Whatever it was, it was creepy. If you stood close to the pole and looked up, the white patch on it's face made it look like one of the woodland spirits from that movie Princess Mononoke. Also, we were not 100% sure it was alive. Or even mostly alive. Not once when I repeatedly kicked the pole, did it move.


It was only until I walked around to the other side of the pole and looked up, did I see it for what it was.


Just a squirrel.


A squirrel with an odd white face, but a squirrel nonetheless. From the angle we initially saw it at, it looked gigantic. From the side, when you could see the body and tail… it's just a normal sized squirrel. 

I'd be lying if I said we weren't disappointed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment