Pages

26 October, 2013

Week One DONE


Today was a beautiful day and it was made even more beautiful by a visit from my Grandma Faye. She’s on her way down to Florida and she stopped for a few days to visit us and our parents in Tennessee. This afternoon my parents and Grandma Faye came over from Knoxville for lunch and to spend the afternoon on the farm with Aaron and me. She surprised us with a most excellent housewarming gift- a Webber grill! My Dad and Aaron promptly put it together and we grilled burgers on it for the inaugural grilling. After lunch, Mom, Dad and Aaron went off to inspect the back barn and Grandma Faye and I unpacked some of my boxes that contained glasses and other fragile things. Then we all went out to try and get a view of the Guinea fowl. Wiley was helpful in locating them but then he had to go and chase them around- because, well, he’s a dog and he can’t help it. He enjoys making them run and fly but he never tries to catch them.

Once Grandma Faye got to see them, it was the end of the visit and the old folks piled into their car and drove away. I am looking forward to them coming back soon, but with their busy schedules I think it will be a few weeks. Mom promised to come and help me get the garden ready for winter and Dad will be wonderful at helping us dig through the barns and decipher what is junk and what could be kept and put to use. If my studio was coming together quicker, I would ask Grandma Faye to help me organize and decorate, but I think I won’t be moving in there for a few weeks. 

For now, I’m happy and cozy on the second floor of the main house. Aaron is settled in the master bedroom as much as he can be without his furniture. He’s been sleeping on the air mattress our parents lent us and I know it is not so comfortable. It’s better than the crappy one he brought along from Columbus, but a real bed would be much better. We plan to set up two guest rooms in the house, so I am thinking we could go get a mattress for a guest room and he could use that now; but I STILL don't have my truck. 
Speaking of my truck, I found out today that I will probably be getting it on Monday. I’m bummed because I was expecting it today, but Monday will be here before I know it and I’ll be doing all the chores that we are putting off because we don’t have a truck. It’s amazing how important a truck becomes when you live on a farm.

In other news, my girls laid 4 eggs yesterday and I’m so happy they did! They are beautiful eggs and nice and big. Tomorrow Aaron will help me make their living space bigger. I was hoping to move them to the barn for the winter, but I just have too many other more important projects. This solution will keep them safe, give them more room to forage and they will still have their familiar roost at night. I will have to do more back stretches and strengthening exercises so that stooping in to their coop doesn’t break me. This morning, just thinking of going to the coop and doing my chores there made me even more aware of the pain in my spine. 

Hilda has defined herself as our cat. Or rather, she has claimed us as her humans. 

Here are some photos from today:

Wiley looking to the upper field this morning.


Wiley begging for breakfast.


I think he spied the Guiena fowls..

Hilda sleeping in a funny position on the chair outside the side door.


Wiley totally pooped out after my parents and Grandma Faye visited.


A rose picked before the frost. It's really interesting because one side of the petal is red and the other is white.


You can see the two colors better in this view.


The last yellow rose... post frost. I should have clipped it before the first frost. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment