Pages

17 October, 2013

NYC Weekend

My dear friends Jessica and Russ got married this past Saturday! I was able to go and celebrate with them and it was a wonderful ceremony. I cried and cried and cried! I'm such a sucker for real, honest romance. I don't like all those silly romantic comedies or romantic drama movies, but the real life stuff gets me every time. Anyway, it was great to be back in the city that I call home. 

I got in on Thursday and went out that night with Jessica and a pack of ladies for her bachelorette party. It was crazy fun! We were in the meatpacking district and had a great dinner at a very cool spot. Then a few of us went off to the Gansevoort Hotel rooftop bar and drank a lot. We decided that most of the clientele were Russian prostitutes with their Johns. I took a cab back to my cousin's apartment and woke up the next morning with the worst hangover I have ever had in my life. At least I didn't wake them or their dog Twiggy up!

Friday afternoon I had lunch with my friend Naoko at a new place in my old neighborhood Murray Hill. It was very good- called Hendrick's. We saw a woman finish off a bottle of wine by herself. It was a sad sight. She was an older woman and looked very unhappy. She was eating too, and at the end of her meal I think there was a problem with her paying. The manager came over, there was a card being handed back and forth- not a credit card. Anyway, she was still there when we left. 

Friday night I had dinner with my cousins at their place and afterward I met up with Russ, his father Jeff, Josh G., and another friend of Russ' named Matt. We had some drinks at Russ' place in Long Island City. It was great to be back and it felt like I had never left. Josh drove me back into the city, which was out of his way, but I was grateful for the lift. As a side note, when Ryker saw me, it was the most wonderful celebration of old friends getting back together! He danced around me, kissed me, and jumped on me. And normally I wouldn't let him jump on me, this time, I made an exception! I had to, he made me beyond happy.

Saturday I got up early and went back to LIC to spend the whole day in my old neighborhood. First I had brunch at Casa Enrique with Shannon and Casey. Then we met up with Tamar and they gave me a tour of the new building's outdoor rooftop area. It was something that I had watched from my old apartment being built over this past year. I saw my old apartment windows, and someone had moved in. I hope they love it as much as I did. After that, Shannon went to join the search for a local boy who had been missing for a week. It's a very upsetting story and I'm impressed, though not surprised, that Shannon is playing such an active role in the search and rescue effort.
Casey, Tamar and I went to Alobar on Vernon for Tamar's brunch and Casey and I just had some cocktails. Then I went to Russ' apartment and relaxed with him and his father a bit before they left for pre-wedding activities. I went and got my hair done while Tamar and Casey got their nails done and then it was goodbye LIC! I caught a ride with Jerry and Rebecca out to the Temple in Great Neck and we partied all night. 

Sunday I had brunch with my cousins and then I spend the afternoon in Central Park before meeting up with my old Calyspo pals- Lori, Sharon, Josh and Yuka. Having dinner with them in Nolita made me more homesick for NYC and my life there than anything else. It was just like old times. I tried really hard not to cry when I said goodbye to them. They all promised to come for a visit on the farm and I promised I would be back. I was sorry to hear I'd miss Yuka's big show she and her quartet are playing tonight (Thursday the 17th) at the Kitano on Park Ave.

I flew back to Knoxville the next morning. Overall it was a wonderful trip and not quite long enough. I have two regrets. The first is that I didn't get to see Alyse. She was away in California working, so that sucked. The other is that I didn't get to go for a dog walk with Russ and Ryker. There just wasn't time.

Here are some photos:

The view from my cousin's apartment on the 28th floor, looking south from 88th and 1st on the Upper East Side.


A self portrait before being picked up to go to the wedding.


Me and Russ' neighbor Rebecca. She and her boyfriend Jerry drove me to the Temple. 


Not the greatest photo of my two friends and old neighbors- Ezra and Eleni at the wedding.

Jessica and Russ at their wedding table listening to her father give a speech.

Me and Russ


Josh!


I'm looking at Josh like this because he got a dessert that no one else got. 

The morning after


Sunday night I took the 6 down to Bleecker- one of my most favorite spots in the city. Lots of great memories there from over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment